Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Where Have You Been?



Now that we’ve gotten that awkward first date out of the way, let’s talk about this whole thing. So… BEDA?

Literally since the very first day I started this blog three years ago (THREE years!) BEDA has been part of my routine.  No matter what is going on in my life, no matter what happens during the other eleven months of the year, April has always been dedicated to thirty days of blogging.

However, what happens here during the other eleven months is still important.  It has absolutely no bearing on my decision to do BEDA, but it’s still important.  I feel like during the first two years of this blog, I did a fairly decent job of posting consistently in the months between each BEDA.  I’m not saying I was perfect, because no one is, but I never felt like I was overly neglecting my blog readers or my blog in general.  But those were the first two years.  The least year is a completely different story…

Let’s back up for a second.  To fully understand what’s been going on you need to know a little bit more about me.  I am a very obsessive person, I have a very addictive personality.  When I love something, I LOVE  it, and I take that love way too far.  Whatever it is that I love, it pretty much takes over all my free time, I am almost always thinking about it, and it’s just kind of always… there.  For example, when I first started this blog three years ago, I was really obsessed with it, wanting to post as often as possible, constantly thinking up new ideas for topics to post about.  Whenever I was away from my computer, I was always thinking about how many views it was getting, if any new comments had been posted.  You get what I mean; it takes over my life.

I have pretty much always been this way about things that I love: when I was younger, we had a completely separate building at my cottage where I kept my Barbies, because I had so many.  I also own every single thing that Mary-Kate and Ashely have ever put out... ever.  Over my twenty-three years, I have learned pretty well how to adapt to my obsessiveness.  The only real problem is that I can really only be obsessed with one thing at a time (for obvious reasons).

So, with that in mind, let's track my Internet obsessions over the last three years:
April 2010 to May 2012: this blog*
May 2012 to August 2012: camp**
September 2012 to mid-January 2013: youtube***

And this brings us to the last two and a half months, where I have not posted a single thing on here; I have still been making and posting youtube videos, but not as consistently as I was in the fall; and I haven't been at camp, so I can't use that as an excuse.  So, what have I been obsessed with this winter?


I made my first, original tumblr blog a couple years ago, but for a long time I never really got into it.  I'll admit, I didn't fully understand the concept of it, it kind of confused me (reblog was a word I had never heard before!) and I just didn't really see the appeal of it.  So, I had a tumblr, but it pretty much just sat there, collecting dust while I obsessed over other things.

Then, a little bit this past spring, but mostly this past fall, I finally got the hang of tumblr and I was hooked!  I found lots of funny blogs to follow, I finally understood what reblogging was, and I was off!

I was frequently on tumblr during the fall, but it wasn't an obsession, it was just another way to pass the time and to procrastinate from school.  Plus, a lot of it made me laugh.  But then, sometime in December I think, I somehow started following some health and fitness blogs (called fitblrs) and I discovered this whole new side of tumblr: all of these fitblrs who were trying to get healthy, and were all trying to help each other.  It was this giant community and I knew right away that I wanted in.

In mid-January (right before my birthday, actually) I made my own fitblr and I have been beyond obsessed with it ever since.  I am constantly thinking of the motivational quotes I reblog, all the yummy recipes I can find, new workouts that I see.  I actually care about how many followers I have and I am often trying to get more (I passed 1,000 last week and my brain exploded a little bit).  Basically, if I am on my computer, tumblr is open. (I will link both my tumblrs down below!)

So... that's where I have been the last eleven months when I haven't really been posting on here.  I really hope this new insight into what goes on in my brain will result in you not getting upset when I don't post on here often enough.  It doesn't mean I don't love you, it just means that there is somewhere else on the Internet that is getting too much of my attention (you can always tweet me to find out where that is!)

Days left of classes: 3
Days until summer: 15
Exams until summer: 3


*I did have other Internet projects during those two years, like starting my youtube channel, but I was the most consistent here than anywhere else.
**Honestly, over this past summer, I hardly used to Internet at all, other than to communicate with people outside of camp.  I look at it as just a small speedbump in my Internet journey.
***During this past fall, I became more invested in my youtube channel than I had ever been.  I was posting a new video, most of the time, every three days!  It was a new way to use this creative outlet and I was thriving.

No comments:

Post a Comment