Saturday, April 13, 2013

FooooodsDay!

While I was cooking supper tonight, I started thinking about all the different ways that people can eat their food.  I mean, we're all different people and we all have different tastes, so it makes sense that we like lots of different things, food-wise.  For example, some people like to put ketchup on their macaroni and cheese; some like to put maple syrup on their bacon or breakfast sausage (...guilty!).

What I think is the weirdest is the way in which we deem certain tastes "acceptable" and others not at all acceptable.  Like, although lots of people find the idea of putting ketchup on their macaroni and cheese not at all appetizing, it has been deemed somewhat socially acceptable and most people usually don't freak out when someone else does it.  But, when I tell people that I don't put milk on my cereal, everyone absolutely freaks out!  Seriously, it's like people are incapable of understanding how I could like to eat my cereal in a way that isn't normal.

Here's the thing: I do not like the taste of milk.  I never have and I probably never will.  I'm sorry if that makes me a picky eater but it's just one of those things that I don't like.  So, because of my dislike for milk, I have never put milk on my cereal.  In my opinion, it completely ruins the taste of the cereal.  For me, having never put milk or any other kind of liquid on my cereal, cereal is not meant to be mushy and soft, it's kind of crunchy.  Sometimes, when I eat granola, I put yogurt on it, but that's about as far as I've ever gone.

Anyway, when people find out that I eat my cereal plain, they lose their minds.  I know it isn't normal, but it is by far not the weirdest thing a person has ever eaten.  But people try to tell me that I'm wrong, somehow, that I'm not eating my cereal the way I'm supposed to.  Like, sorry not sorry that I do something a little different than how you think it should be done.  But it's really not the end ofthe world.

Let me know in the comments if there's anything you eat that other people don't consider normal, I'd love to know!

Days until summer: 4
Exams until summer: 2
Days until camp: 44

PS. I also mix normal white milk with chocolate milk, because I don't like white milk by itself and I find chocolate milk to be too chocolatey.  I've been doing this for as long as I can remember and I used to think it was weird, until I came to university and found quite a few other people who do it as well!  Have you ever mixed milks?  Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. The question is...do you use a spoon when you eat your dry cereal? Because cereal may not need liquid on it, but a spoon DOES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I'm around other people I definitely use a spoon, because it's more polite than using my hands. But when I'm eating alone, I usually just go caveman on my cereal and forgo all utensils :)

      Delete