Sunday, April 3, 2011

One Year

Do you remember what you were doing a year ago today?
My guess is probably not.
It was the Saturday of Easter weekend, just before the end of classes for the semester.  There's nothing significant or special about that day.  It wasn't one of those days that you'll remember for the rest of your life; it wasn't a day that you'll ask people what they were doing and everyone will just remember.*  There was nothing at all important about April 3, 2010.
Except, for me, it's the day my life changed, probably forever.

A couple days earlier, a friend of mine posted this video on my facebook wall (or maybe it was someone else's wall, and I just saw it in my news feed, I honestly can't remember) and I thought it was absolutely hilarious.  So, I fed my natural need to procrastinate and proceeded to watch all the videos she had posted on her channel.  I adored her and thought she was very clever and hilarious.  Then, I'm not entirely sure how, but I somehow discovered that she had a blog, here on blogspot.  Because I loved her videos so much, I decided to read her blogs...all of them...all the way from the beginning.  Needless to say, there were quite a lot of posts and it took me quite a long time to get caught up (although not as long as you would expect, I'm sorry to say).

I don't remember if I started reading her blog on that Saturday, or if I started earlier, but on that fateful Saturday, I must have reached a point in my reading where I realized something: not only did I love this random girl...I kind of wanted to be her.  It sounds super creepy when I say it like that, but it's really true.  So I decided that I was going to start blogging and I was going to start posting videos (vlogs, as the cool kids call them) on youtube.  At the time, I didn't have a webcam, and my digital camera is stupid and won't record sound, so I figured that the blog was a good place to start.

Prior to that, I had started several different blogs, but none of them really turned into anything.  Mostly because I was too lazy to really keep up with them, and they just kind of went down the drain.  This time, though, something felt different.  There's was something about this blog, and something about my reason for starting it that...I just knew.  I just knew it was going to last.  So I posted this with the intention of writing every few weeks, but not all that often, especially because exams were soon coming up.

However, as I continued to read hayleyghoover's blog, I discovered something called BEDA, or Blog Every Day in April.  Hayley was doing it, as were a few other blogs I came across through her.  It sounded interesting and like a fun challenge, especially given what a crazy/hectic month April was going to be.  So, that Saturday night, I decided I was going to attempt BEDA.  I mean, why not?  And, although I missed a couple days towards the end of the month, I count myself as successful, especially since it was my first real venture into blogging.

It is now a year later, and I have managed to keep this blog alive.  Not only that, I have also been posting videos on my personal youtube channel and I've been involved with a youtube collaboration channel called 5AwesomeCollegeGirls where I post a video every Thursday.

So much has happened this past year, it really is hard to believe.  And it's so hard to believe that an entire year has gone by already!  I know I say this a lot, but time really does fly!

For my six-month anniversary in October, I talked about all the things that had happened during those six months.  But I don't want to do that today.  You guys know all the important stuff that's happened in the last year, and if you don't...ask.

Instead, today I want to thank you.  Thank you for taking the time to actual read this.  Thank you for commenting, if you do, but even if you don't, I still want to thank you.  When I started this a year ago, I really didn't think anyone would read this.  I mean, who wants to read the things that I have to say?!  And sometimes, it does feel like I'm talking to myself.  But then, on those days when I check my email and see that someone commented, or when I check my views and see that even one or two people read my post...well, that feeling makes it all worth it.  So thank you, from the very bottom of my heart.  I appreciate it more than you could ever know.

Exams left until summer: 4
Movies watched this April: 0

PS.  The peanut butter balls turned out amazing!  I wish I could eat all of them, but then there would be none left for the bake sale.  Darn it...

*As in, the day of 9/11, the day Michael Jackson died, those kinds of things.  Those are the days and events that people remember for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment