Tuesday, April 5, 2011

School Lessons

Guys, BEDA is hard this year!  My day-to-day life is really not at all interesting and otherwise...I don't have a whole lot to talk about.
This morning, I worked for two hours, which, in all honesty...kind of sucked.  I mean, for the most part, I love my job, I love the people I work with and I basically have no complaints.  But Tuesday mornings...they are not something I enjoy.
On Tuesday mornings, we have school lessons, which basically means that kids come with their class to the pool for the lesson (as opposed to coming with their parents in the evenings/weekend).  Honestly, I had never heard of school lessons before a couple months ago, had no idea they existed.  Growing up, I certainly never went swimming as a part of school.  I think a couple times, we went to the local pool for a field trip, but that was to have fun, not for lessons.  Did you guys have school lessons when you were younger?  Let me know.
Anyway, the kids who come for school lessons all know each other and, for the most part, are friends (as opposed to normal lessons where the kids don't already know each other), so all they want to do is have fun and not listen even a little bit.  Plus, there's more kids and less instructors then normal lessons, so the classes are usually at least twice as big.
Just imagine this for a second: classes of eight or more kids who don't listen to a word you say...do you have any idea how frustrating that is?!
Plus, half the kids don't even want to be there!  I mean, with normal lessons, most parents put there kids in lessons when they're younger, just so that they can at least learn the basics of swimming, but after a while, if the kids don't want to do swimming lessons anymore, the parents stop signing them up!  I mean, what parent wants to be paying for swimming lessons when their child has no interest in it anymore?!  But these kids... as far as I can tell, these kids are there whether they want it or not.  From what I can see, in the grades/schools that do school lessons, the only way a kid is getting out of it is if they have a legit reason, not just that they don't want to.  And it really sucks teaching swimming lessons to kids who don't even want to be there.
One plus, however, is that the parents aren't there for school lessons, so you don't have all those over protective parents trying to tell you how to do your job.  I mean, the teachers are there, and if they see you struggling with a kid, they might give you some hints on how they handle the kid, but for the most part they leave you alone, which is pretty freaking amazing, if you ask me.

Anyway, this morning was the first day of a new set of lessons (which means all new kids and teaching different levels) and, while they weren't the greatest lessons I've ever taught, it helped to remember that next week, I won't be teaching them (as I have an exam at the same time as my shift) and then I only have two more weeks after that before I leave for the summer.  It was just kind of comforting to know that I only have two weeks left with these kids, not seven.  Phew.

In other news, I've had this song stuck in my head all day, this time next week I'll be half done my exams, and Canada Post is the worst part of my day.
The end.

Exams left until summer: 4
Movies watched this April: 0

love <3

PS.  If you guys have any ideas or suggestions about things I could talk about, please leave them in the comments!  Clearly I'm struggling!  And, you know, it's always good to talk about things that interest the audience.  Or, you know, so I've heard...

2 comments:

  1. That song is great! I feel like it would probably start to annoy me after a while of having it stuck in my head though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have friday stuck in my head, UGHHH. But I watched some of the other videos of Rebecca Black and she seems like a pretty cool chick. To answer your question, no. I never had school swimming lessons as a child. Like you, it was a few field trips here and there. You could do a blog post about Hedley? Good luck darling!

    ReplyDelete