Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Happy Times

First of all, I love Jesus. He is my saviour. I don't know why this is important for you to know, it just is.

So happy Easter! I am nearly positive that, at the moment, no one reads this blog. But they will. And if they don't, I don't care. I'm not doing this for anyone but me. Does that sounds selfish? Maybe... It wasn't supposed to be.

So this morning I went to church for the first time since I was home for Christmas. I know I said I love Jesus, which would make you think that I should go to church every week, and I agree. People who only go at Christmas and Easter (C&Eers I call them) annoy me. What are you trying to prove? Anyway, when I was younger and lived at home, I went to church nearly every week. I've been going to the same church my entire life. My grandparents helped found it back in the '50s. It is a huge part of my life. Even now, when I come home from university for Christmas and the summer, I get a huge welcoming from everyone. I love it. :)

But for university, I moved halfway across the country. Within my first month here I got involved with my school's Christian fellowship. I have been part of it for almost two years now and it is a huge part of my life. I have meet some of my very best friends through it. People who, I know, will always be there for me, no matter what. But I never really got involved in a church. There are a fair number here, none of which, of course, are walking distance to the school. And I didn't really want to go by myself. I have no problem doing things by myself, I'm a very independent person. I moved halfway across the country to an island where I knew not a single person. I have no problem taking risks. This just didn't feel like one of those times.

So I have been churchless for my first two years of university. Not a big deal. I went to the CF meetings every Friday night, and was part of a small group. I never really felt like I was missing out. Until a couple of my very good friends, Priscilla and Amanda, invited me to come with them this morning. Amanda has a car and was more than willing to give me a ride. So I went with them. This church, called the Worship Center, was quite different than my church back home. I don't think it had a specific denomination (ie. baptist, united, etc), which didn't really bother me. There was a lot of singing. Like, a lot. I love to sing praise and worship God as much as the next person, I promise. This just felt like a lot. There was one song, and one of the lines was about how nothing but the blood of Jesus could save us, and it kept repeating "Nothing but the blood of Jesus" and all I could was that it sounded like a vampires theme song. I'm not a terrible person, I promise! There was just a lot of singing.

I'm not really sure what the point of that story was. I just feel that it was important. I don't think I realized until today what a huge hole the lack of church had left in my life. I'm moving into a house next year with a bunch of Christians, so hopefully I can tag along with them when they go to church. I just don't like going by myself. I don't know why.

So, for the very few people who actually read this, even if you don't have a relationship with Jesus, remember that today is not just about chocolate and creepy human-sized bunnies. This is about Jesus giving His life for us on the cross, and then rising from the dead three days later. It is because of Him that we have the life we have today, it is because of Him that God forgives our sins. Even if you don't have a relationship with Jesus, don't ever forget this. Ever.

love <3

P.S. I'm not trying to preach God and to convert people. God is just such a huge part of my life, and today is such a ridiculously important day. I couldn't not talk about it. Surely you understand. :)

1 comment:

  1. You've grown. A lot. And I LOVE you for it. Your thoughts kind of blew me away. If you ever want to take the bus to West End Baptist with me, Linds, Nathan and Shawnesty...and a few others... we'd love to have you. P.S- I love Jesus too.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete