Thursday, August 25, 2011

Half-Mast

I'm back to being in the middle of nowhere, so the Internet is back to sucking.  Thank goodness there's only a couple days left of this, because this is as painful for me as it is for you, trust me.
So there's something I want to talk about.  For those of you who are Canadian, or who know anything about Canadian politics, you'll know that Jack Layton passed away on Monday morning.  He was the leader of one of our political parties, the New Democrats.  In our federal election that was held at the beginning of May, the NDPs won official oppostion (the second most seats).  Normally second isn't a big deal, but this was the first time NDP had won that many seats, so for their party, it was a huge accomplishment.
Yesterday when I was at the airport, to fly back to camp, I saw that all the flags were at half-mast.  Of course this is a very common occurence when someone big dies, so I wasn't really surprised to see them there.  I suppose I was just really touched that the flags were at half-mast for him, which of course doesn't make any sense, because of course they would be at half-mast, just like they are for everyone else who's well-known and who dies.
Rest In Peace, Jack Layton.  Canada lost a really great guy.

Flights taken: 13

love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment