Wednesday, November 3, 2010

12000 say whats now?!

I am currently sitting in my stats lab (which is more than 100% useless...I don't know why I even bother to show up!) and I had every intention of working on my novel for an hour and a half (because I don't pay attention) but for some reason, Word on this computer won't open my NaNoWriMo file from my USB.  I don't know why, but it sucks.  Although it's not like I don't need a break...

Those of you who know me in real life and follow on Facebook and/or Twitter probably already know that I'm kind of ahead of schedule on my novel.  To reach 50 000 words in 30 days at a normal pace, I should have about 5000 words by the end of the day.  At noon today, I had 12 001 words.

I'm not really sure how this happened.  I seriously had no intention of being such a keener and getting a fifth of my novel done in two days.  I'm so lazy, I really don't know how this happened!

That's a lie, I do.  My novel is written in the form of letters that people are writing back and forth to each other, so if I start getting writer's block, I just end that letter and have another character write a letter.  It's unfortunately easy and extremely addicting.  I'm kind of starting to love my characters as people, which is so stupid, because I made them up in my mind!  Obviously I'll love them, I created them!  I can do whatever I want with them!

This weirdly makes me feel like God.  I mean, I created these characters exactly the way I wanted them and I control everything they are going to do, and have already done.  Even if they "wanted" to do something differently (which obviously they can't because, unlike humans, they are not real and can't think for themselves) it would never succeed, because I already know how their future is going to go.

This might sound kind of ridiculous but just go with it: did you ever think that maybe God is like an author, who was just writing a novel, that somehow turned into real life?  And that's why we're all here?

Yea, that was stupid.  I'm sorry.  I've clearly written too much in the last three days to make any sense anymore.  I'll quit now while I'm still somewhat ahead.

High: when I hit 12000 words this morning.  A single number has never made me so happy!
Low: at least half a dozen times in the last 24 hours, I have tried to spell the word "neither" with a G.* I don't know why.
Thankful: that I have some really great people encourageing me through my novel.

Books read this year: 40

love <3

*I almost pressed the G button as I was writing neither.  I don't know what's wrong with me!

P.S.  If you guys would like to read an excerpt from my novel, I could post one in my next blog post, as I don't have access to my novel on this computer.  Let me know in the comments if you would want to read that!

2 comments: