Monday, September 12, 2011

We Remember

[This post was written on Sunday, September 11]

You know how when you think back over your life and there are certain days, and certain huge events, that really stick out in your memory?  Things that you'll probably never forget?  For some people, these might be things like prom, your wedding day, the birth of your children.  But there's also the bigger things, like the attack on Pearl Habour, in 1941, or the day JFK was shot, in 1963.  For my generation, it will always be September 11, 2001, or 9/11.

I was in grade six, probably in the second week of classes.  It was time for morning recess, but I had to stay in and finish something that I hadn't done during class (missing recess was a pretty common occurrence in my life).  Recess was usually fifteen minutes and it took me about twelve minutes to finish whatever I was doing.  I asked my teacher if I could go outside for the last couple minutes of recess.  She told me that there were only a couple minutes left, it wasn't really worth it, but I could go out if I wanted to.  So I quickly put on my shoes, and as I was running out the door, I heard the principal, over the PA system, asking all the teachers to go to the staff room, because there was something going on in New York City.

I then remember recess continuing for what seemed like a good half hour, forty five minutes.  In my memory, that's how long recess became, although I don't know if I actually had a watch, or if I was just guessing.  Either way, we had an extremely extended recess, while all the teachers were watching the news in the staff room.

When recess was finally over, we went back into our classroom and our teacher tried to explain to us what was happening.  I remember not understanding why this had happened, why anyone would do this.  I also remember knowing I didn't understand why it was such a big deal.  I knew it was a big deal, and it would have a lasting impact on all of us, but I also didn't fully understand why.

Now it's been ten years and I'm still not sure I get it.  Either way, today is a day to remember.  Remember all those who lost their lives.  Remember the families of all the victims.  Remember those who risked their lives trying to help, trying to save anyone they could.

Sometimes things happen that we don't understand, that we can't explain.  We spend a decade looking back and wondering, why did this happen?  Why did these people lose their lives?  I don't know the answer, I don't know why.  But I do know that the best thing we can do for all those people is to remember.  As long as we remember, their memory lives on.  As soon as we start to forget, the terrorists who did this start to win.  So please, never forget September 11, 2001.  Always remember.

Flights taken: 17

love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment