Monday, January 31, 2011

The Hunger Games

Those of you who know me, know that reading and books are a huge part of my life.  I remember the first time I went to the public library, when I was in grade 3 (about 8 years old) and I just went crazy!  I couldn't understand the concept of being able to just pick whatever books you want, and take them home with you!  Just take them!  Libraries blew my mind at the point.

That was about the time that I really got into reading seriously.  I would go to the library every two to three weeks with my mom, and usually get up to twenty books, and somehow I would manage to read them all!  I guess eight-year-olds have a little more time on their hands than university students.

But even though I no longer have the time to read twenty books a month doesn't mean I don't have time to read at all.  I love rereading books I've already read, which people think is weird, but the way I see it, if I loved the book the first time, why wouldn't I love it a second or third time?  And if I wait long enough before rereading it, I forget most of the details, so it's not like I remember every little thing that happens.  It's like rewatching movies: when you find a movie you love, you'll want to watch it more than once because you love it!

But I also adore finding new books, either by authors by whom I've already read something, or through recommendations from friends.  This is how I stumbled upon The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins.  Some people I know have read it, and I've heard only good things about it, so I decided to read it.  I figured, if enough people thought it was good, it's bound to be pretty good.  I was wrong.  It's not pretty good; it's amazing!  I only started it a couple days ago, but I'm already half way through, and I would probably finish it tonight if I didn't have school work to do.

The Hunger Games is set in an alternate society in what is referred to as formerly North America.  In this society, at some time before the book starts, there was a war where a large number of the people died or were killed at the hands of the government.  Now, every year, to remind people of the downsides of rebelling against the government, there is a competition called the Hunger Games.  Twelve boys and twelve girls between the ages of twelve and eighteen are placed in a giant arena and it's basically a battle to the death, last person alive wins.  The story is told from the point of view of a sixteen year old girl named Katniss who becomes on the competitors.  So far it is an amazing book, I highly recommend it to anyone.

High: I had a really amazing weekend and I'm still living off the memories!
Low: I have a test tomorrow that I am not even a little bit ready for.
Thankful: for amazing books. :)

love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment