Sunday, December 4, 2011

VALID and Anonymity

I'm procrastinating.  Get over it.

So, as I mentioned at the end of my last post, I made an announcement on my youtube channel on Thursday.  If you don't know what it is yet, you can click here to check it all out.
So, this month, I am doing something called VALID (Vlog A Lot In December).  I'm used to taking on ridiculous challenges, but this is something very new for me.  Although I love to talk, and I could probably talk for days, there's something so different about vlogging than blogging.  When I've done BEDA, if I didn't have anything to talk about, I would just write words and whatever happened would happen.  But when I vlog... I think it's that people can see me, and can see my face when I'm saying that I have nothing to talk about.  It just makes me so much more vulnerable, and like every video has to be excellent; there's pressure, pressure that I can't really explain.
This is definitely not going to be an easy challenge* but I'm really excited about it.  I feel like it's going to push me outside of my comfort zone, and hopefully I can learn and grow from it.

I also wanted to talk about anonymity.  I have been putting original content online for over a year and a half.  I have been writing this blog since April 2010 and I have been vlogging since october 2010.  I never get into the really personal parts of my life, because that isn't the business of the whole Internet, but I've still put quite a bit of my life online, a lot more than most people do.  And yet, I still feel like I have a veil of anonymity: for the most part, as far as I know, the people who read my blog and watch my videos are people I know in real life.  These people already know me and I have no problem being me around them.  The other, maybe 10% of the people who read and watch me, the people who don't know me... they really don't know me.  I don't feel accountable to them, they really don't know much about me.  I feel like I can do and say pretty much whatever I want online, because I have this anonymity.  I'm unsure as to whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, though.  I mean, I'm not going to pretend I haven't dreamed of being "youtube famous"; I've had fantasies about having millions of subscribers and everyone knowing who I am.  But at the same time, when everyone knows who I am, then they expect things from me.  I can't fully be myself online anymore, I have to be what these people want from me, and who they want me to be.
So I guess the question is, is it all worth the price of fame?  Which is better, being completely anonymous but being able to post whatever I want, or being semi-famous, but having to post what other people want, not what I want?  What do you guys think?

Flights taken: 20
Exams until Christmas break: 3
Days until Christmas break: 11

love <3

*That's why it's called a challenge, Seana.

No comments:

Post a Comment