Saturday, March 5, 2011

What's Your Dream?

I've never known what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.
Wait...that's a huge lie.
Throughout my childhood, I wanted to be everything under the sun, from a teacher to a model to a doctor, dentist, and vet all at the same time (I was going to live at my cottage and take care of my parents and dogs*).  I had a huge imagination and there was no end to the possible jobs.

The problem is, since I stopped being a child and started getting serious about my future (basically when I started high school) I really haven't known what I wanted to be.  I jumped from physiotherapist to dietitian to chiropractor to pharmacist.  Now I'm doing a degree in nutrition, but I still don't really know where I see myself, career-wise, even in five years.

A couple months ago, I took a career aptitude test, just to see what a generic test thought I should do. (I also tried to Google "what should I be when I grow up" but that didn't end quite as well)  My top answer: actor.  Within my top five, there was also director, director of photography, and comedian (the Internet knows I'm funny!)  I wasn't so appreciative of my answers at first, because so many of them were show-biz related, and it's not like that's an easy field to get into.

I couldn't ignore my top answer, though.  Actor.  I've wanted to be an actor for as long as I can remember.  Mixed in with all my unrealistic and unsuccessful ideas, I have always wanted to act.  Drama is actually one of my biggest passions and basically the only thing I could ever really see myself doing (or working with kids--my other passion).

Which leads to the question, why is that not what I'm doing?!  If acting is my passion, why am I majoring in biochemistry, which I don't even really like that much, instead of pursuing acting?!  The answer: I really don't know.  My school doesn't have a drama department, but I don't think that should stop me from pursuing my dream.

So for now, I don't know.  I'll stick with biochem until I get my degree and then after that...we'll see.  Maybe in five years, when you go to the movie theater, you'll see my name on the big screen!

So tell me: what's your passion?  What's that one dream you've always had, for as long as you can remember?  Are you doing anything to reach it?

love <3

*Since then, my parents have split up, sold the cottage, and two of my dogs have died...good thing I got over that dream!

1 comment:

  1. The little (*) end note (although morbid) made me laugh. I could just picture you saying it all sarcastically.

    ReplyDelete